The IWW Rules
These rules are directed toward providing a safe and productive environment for
New members are subscribed only
after reading and agreeing to these rules:
Most of our members are happy to let us administer the Workshop as we do,
but occasionally some aren't. At one point in its history, our workshop was
nearly ruined by dissension and chaos. As a result, we've adopted these
Removal from the Workshop:
- Membership on the Internet Writing Workshop is not a right.
- This is not a Democracy.
- Members do not get to vote about the Workshop's membership or rules.
- The decisions of the list administrators are not negotiable.
These behaviors are not permitted:
- Personal attacks on members or administrators (flaming ).
- Ridiculing the writing of others.
- Spamming or soliciting.
- Defaming religious beliefs.
- Arguing with any posted critiques, on or off list.
- Showing posts to people outside the list without the writers' permissions.
- Signing up to the Workshop with a false name.
- Advocacy: religious, political, or otherwise (no matter how valid the
- Storing members' addresses for purposes other than improving your writing.
Three to remember:
- You can post web-page links to our lists, but please don't post copyrighted written
material here without the copyright owner's permission.
- No advertising in any form except within the five lines below the email
- As an educational institution, the IWW
receives submissions only for the purpose of critiquing, not
for publishing. Please do not read submissions solely for
- Please don't post writing-contest announcements. They are
solicitations that could be wonderful or could be scams, and we have no way of
- Please also do not post calls for submissions to publishing venues. Send
them instead to our IWW Blog,
- Avoid posting in all caps. It's seen as shouting.
- No virus warnings, please. They are otherwise available on the net, and experience has
shown that most privately-posted warnings are hoaxes.
- No chain letters.
- IWW administrators will occasionally post official messages
beginning with the word, "ADMIN:"
in the subject title. Please reserve this heading for their use.
If you're bothered or offended by a member, please
don't respond to them directly and risk making things worse.
Write us first at
firstname.lastname@example.org. If that address doesn't work, use our
All Workshop lists are monitored. Enforcement of these rules is the
responsibility of the list administrators who may be
here. Our preferred way of handling problems is through private
email, behind the scenes. That being the case, when you contact
us, you may find that your concern has already been
Web site created by
Rhéal Nadeau and
the administrators of the Internet Writing Workshop.
Modified by Gayle Surrette.